Elementary School Counselors believe…
- Children have dignity and worth as human beings.
- Children learn best when they feel good about themselves and their relationships with others.
- Children who understand their feelings are better able to control their behavior.
- Children are capable of making responsible choices.
- Attitudes formed during elementary school shape future attitudes toward learning, self and society.
Kentucky School Counselors Help Children Find Success in School by…
- Helping develop positive attitudes among students towards self, family, and community.
- Counseling with students individually and in groups to understand and appreciate their unique qualities and to grow personally and socially.
- Supporting students by teaching skills for achieving success.
- Developing and delivering classroom guidance lessons that teach skills such as making healthy decisions, resolving conflicts, and respecting others.
- Assisting students to become invested in their school success by showing them how school performance relates to future opportunities.
- Working collaboratively with students, parents, and teachers to identify and remove barriers that may impede student achievement.
Kentucky School Counselors Help Our Children Prepare for the Future by…
- Assisting students to develop personal awareness and explore personal goals.
- Helping develop communication and interpersonal skills needed to relate well to others.
- Providing a comprehensive and developmental guidance and counseling program that impacts all students K-12.
- Assisting students to learn, to work, to live in the 21stcentury.
Elementary School Counselors Help…
- Children develop a better understanding and acceptance of themselves.
- Children cope with family changes.
- Children develop decision making and problem solving skills.
- Children develop socially and emotionally, to mature in the relations with others.
- Children to understand themselves in relation to their own development.
- Parents understand their children’s emotions, behaviors, and learning styles, and assist them in meeting their child’s needs.
- School staff, teachers and administrators understand and meet the needs of all students in intellectual, personal, social and emotional areas.
- Parents and teachers create a positive learning environment.
Information provided by Kentucky School Counselor Association.