Dear Musketeer Family,
As you may know, Governor Beshear announced upcoming executive orders that will impact in-person instruction over the next month. These orders are a result of the exponential rise in COVID-19 cases across the Commonwealth, and are designed to help stem the spread of the virus. Here’s how the executive orders will impact instruction in the Greenup County School District:
When will students return to in-school instruction?
- Elementary school students may resume in-school instruction on December 7, 2020 if the county moves out of red status on the state incidence map. If we are able to return, we will continue the use of NTI on Wednesdays to keep our sanitation process in place.
- Middle and high schools will remain on NTI through January 4, 2021.
Will small group in-person tutoring continue?
- Small group in-person tutoring may continue while following guidance for targeted services. The true purpose of a school is to educate, and we want to be able to do that within the limitations given us. We recognize that some students need small group personal assistance so we plan to continue to provide tutoring in small, scheduled, and controlled increments. All usual safety mitigations will be in place. Details from KDE on how targeted services should occur are here: https://education.ky.gov/comm/Documents/Orientation%20And%20Targeted%20Services%20FINAL.pdf
What about school meals?
- For students who are registered for meal delivery, our food service and transportation departments will continue to deliver on Tuesdays between 10:00 and 12:30. If you prefer to pick up meals, they will be available at AES, GES, MMS or WMS on Mondays from 12:30-1:00 and 4:00-6:00. If you would like meals delivered or have questions, contact our Food Service Department at 473.9810. Meals for Thanksgiving week will be delivered Friday, November 20.
What about students who are enrolled in the Greenup County Virtual Learning Track, or who wish to transfer in or out of the program next semester?
- Registration/enrollment for the GCVLT opens November 30 - December 11.You will need to participate if:
- Your child plans to stay in the GCVLT next semester
- Your child plans to move from GCVLT to in-person/NTI instruction next semester
- You want to enroll your child in the GCVLT for the first time
What about winter sports?
- We will follow KHSAA recommendations in regards to winter sports (basketball, cheer, dance, etc). As of now, competition may begin on January 4, 2021. We are awaiting specific guidance on team practices.
What if my family needs assistance during the break?
If you need assistance with emergency provisions, please contact your school’s Family Resource Youth Service Center
For mental health services, contact:
Where can I get the latest information?
- We will continue to update social media (@GreenupSchools) regularly. We will also communicate through SchoolMessenger, Infinite Campus, the district website (greenup.kyschools.us) and Google classroom. You can also contact your child’s school:
- AES - 473.7213; GES - 473.9653; MES - 932.3383; WES - 836.6987; MMS - 932.3221; WMS - 836.1023; GCHS - 473.9312
While these are trying times for us all, our staff will continue to provide high quality instruction and support services to our students and families. Our schools serve many needs of our students and we understand that our work is essential. I commend our entire team for working to feed, educate, and support our students and families.
We must all work together to curb the spread of COVID-19 in our community. We encourage our entire Musketeer community to continue following recommended public health guidelines, including wearing a mask, frequent hand washing, and maintaining a social distance whenever possible. Staying safe at home with your immediate family and only traveling to work is the best option to getting our students back in school. We truly need your help with this.
Stay safe, Musketeers