What is KYA?
The Kentucky Youth Assembly (KYA) is a three-day, learning conference in which students participate directly in the Commonwealth’s democratic process. Acting as Senators and Representatives, students write, debate, and vote on legislation that affects them. As candidates, lobbyists, or members of the media, students experience the rich spectrum of activity that makes up our political process. As advocates and justices, students argue and judge a legal case in the actual Kentucky Supreme Court chambers. Officers elected by students serve as Governor, Speaker of the House, President of the Senate, and are appointed to other conference leadership positions.
Who runs KYA?
Our student Presiding Officers lead each KYA, but YMCA Staff, teachers, and volunteer advisors are always present to keep things running smoothly and safely.
Where is KYA?
KYA programming is held at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Louisville, KY. The majority of our hotel rooms will be at the Crowne Plaza, but additional rooms may be provided at nearby (walking distance) hotels based upon overflow needs.
On Day 2 of KYA, students travel to Frankfort, KY to debate in the State Capitol.
How much does KYA cost?
Our Program Fee includes program materials, lodging lodging (rooms of 1-2 students will be paired with another school), travel to the capitol, 2nd day lunch and dinner, and final morning breakfast:
- $280 for Student Y Members. There is a $10 discount per student for on time completed registration and payment. To become a Student Y member, students should be marked as Student YMCA Members on the Online Community under Students & Adults; membership cost is $10. This will be added into the initial $280 membership cost for the trip.
- There will also be a $35 dollar fee paid to the school for busses to and from Louisville.
Are scholarships available for KYA?
Yes – the Y is committed to ensuring access for all interested students. To be considered, a student and parent/guardian must complete the scholarship application and submit it by the deadline for your KYA – Scholarship Application *Scholarships are formerly known as Financial Aid*
What is the visitors policy at KYA?
- Visitors may only come during Debate times. We welcome visitors at the following times:
- Day 1: General Assembly/Debate Times (times vary based on conference, please check your conference agenda)
- Day 2: Debate Times and Candidate speeches (times vary based on conference, please check your conference agenda)
- All visitors must provide their OWN transportation to and from Frankfort. They may NOT use Kentucky YMCA buses.
- All visitors must be checked-in with Y-Staff at the Capitol in Frankfort.
- Visitors may check in with Y-Staff ten minutes after bus arrival.
- Day 3: General Assembly
- All visitors must sign in at the Y-Desk. A Photo ID is required for everyone 18+.
- All visitors must be met by a supervising adult in the delegation.
- All visitors must wear the Kentucky YMCA issued name tag at all times.
- All visitors must sign-out and return the name tag at the Y-Desk before leaving.
- Visitors must pay for their own meals. Kentucky YMCA does not provide meals to visitors.
- Due to spacing and availability, we cannot guarantee accommodations for visitors at Claudia Sanders.
- Visitors may NOT be on sleeping floors in the hotel at any time.
- Current students may sign in as visitors only during closing session on Day 3. Students MUST have permission from their school’s advisor and remain in the school’s care for the entirety of their stay. Current students are not allowed to visit any other times throughout the conference.
Please Contact Mr. Ward for more info.
KYA offers students the opportunity to learn about a wide variety of issues, develop critical thinking skills, and articulate their beliefs while engaging constructively with those who hold like and opposing views.